Pete Smith, Head of Sales and Marketing at iaconnects, presented alongside EnOcean on their January 2021 webinar: Benefits of truly converged systems and the future for wireless connectivity.
We asked webinar attendees what they felt were the most valuable IoT solutions, and what the key IoT project blockers are. The results are shown below with % of attendees selecting the option in (%):
|Valuable IoT Solutions||
IoT Project Blockers
Desk Occupancy (>50%)
Air Quality Monitoring (>75%)
People Counting (>60%)
System Integrators (>55%)
Links and key takeaways for the individual You Spoke, We Listened articles are listed below:
1. The ability to remotely view and book available desks is becoming an increasingly popular trend and can have a number of positive impacts for an organisation and their employees such as productivity levels and wellbeing.
2. One customer expected desk occupancy to be around 75% Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm. In reality, it was only 39%.
3. A big problem in London is being able to find an available desk. Occupancy sensors can help solve this issue.
4. Being able to remotely monitor desk usage during the pandemic is vital for health and safety.
5. Integration with desk booking solutions is key to keeping productivity high.
1. Recording air quality data is one way to monitor ventilation in spaces, whether indoors or outdoors.
2. Poorly ventilated buildings are particularly conducive to virus spread. Where possible, poorly ventilated spaces should be adapted to improve ventilation
3. Studies undertaken in the last few years have found that higher levels of CO2 have a negative impact of productivity.
4. About six million people aged over 65 in England are at high risk of lung damage and asthma attacks because of toxic air
5. Air quality monitoring will allow organisations to safely bring people back to the office, whilst also providing a valuable solution for the future.
1. Business owners and facilities managers will be under pressure to manage the occupancy of their buildings extremely prudently
2. People counting solutions, such as those you see at supermarkets will provide value and benefits to multiple stakeholder's long term
3. People counters can be used to monitor people flow, accurately detect the number of people in specific rooms, zones or areas without tracking individuals
4. Collecting building occupancy data can help you understand whether certain days or times are busier than others
5. Displaying relevant data on display screens, dashboards and 3rd party booking applications can provide value to employees and building owners alike
1. The infrastructure costs for IoT projects, from Proof of Concepts (PoCs) to full scale roll outs have traditionally been a significant percentage of total project cost.
2. Multiple gateways, control systems and cloud solutions can all be reasons why infrastructure costs can be prohibitive.
3. What data do you want to collect and why? You should define business benefits you want to achieve with your IoT solution.
4. What value do you want to collect from the data? Multiple stakeholders can derive different value from the same data.
5. MobiusFlow® is an advanced commissioning solution for the 'Internet of Things' from iaconnects.
1. Poor engagement between IoT project owner and information security (infosec) department can delay or prevent deployment
2. Does your planned project comply with GDPR? Are there any extra elements you need to consider?
3. You should consider multiple stakeholder views when thinking about an IoT solution
4. Run a small PoC before a full scale rollout to combat out any unexpected issues and update the full scale solution accordingly
5. Contact iaconnects so we can help you understand your needs and use our MobiusFlow software as the control layer for your IoT projects
1. The importance of early engagement with a system integrator cannot be underestimated.
2. SIs should be vetted and tested on their approach to openness and flexibility
3. Any competent SI must be aware of the past, the present and most importantly the future
4. Your SI should be an integral part of your consultancy team and should be introduced to all key stakeholders
5. There is no replacement for experience and a depth of knowledge when it comes to choosing an SI
Please contact iaconnects if you would like to discuss any IoT solutions or project blockers including those listed above.
iaconnects realises business benefits for industry by providing sensors, connectivity, control devices and software for delivering value with the Internet of Things (IoT).
We facilitate efficient operation by enabling secure data from sensors and controllers either stored locally or in the cloud to provide intelligent diagnostics, analytics and control, resulting in optimum savings for the operator.
Our ecosystem allows non-manufacturer specific sensors and control devices to be connected, managed and controlled via the cloud and / or local browsers using our own MobiusFlow® configuration and commissioning solution.
By utilising the MobiusFlow® configuration and commissioning software from IAconnects, MobiusFlow® enabled gateways, connectors and cloud instances transform your data into business advantage.
Connectivity from a range of non-manufacturer specific sensors and control devices as well as protocols including EnOcean, iQRF and LoRaWAN, your Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystem can be configured, commissioned and scaled to suit your requirements and help minimise your operator costs.